Introduction to Sustainable Healthcare
This course is an overview of the relationship between the health sector and the climate and ecological crises; How does the health system contribute to climate change? How can clinical practices become sustainable?
The course consists of two parts:
- Part I. Self-study: Two weeks before the workshop begins we will send you a link with access to a 4-hour interactive package with video case studies. After working through the materials in your own time, you are invited to identify a sustainability topic in your setting that you might like to learn more about.
- Part II. Workshop (Thursday 21 January 2021, 10 am - 2 pm): This 4-hour small group workshop is facilitated by expert instructors and conducted over a video conferencing platform.
Sustainable healthcare can be described as care that is delivered in a way that does not adversely affect the health of the population, and does not use resources in a way that will compromise the ability of those in the future to provide care, or increase their burden of illness.
Health systems consume enormous quantities of materials, energy, chemicals and water, and they produce vast amounts of waste, much of it toxic. A more efficient health system can make a significant contribution to the carbon reductions required by the Paris Agreement and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Using case studies from the NHS, you will gain a foundation for work in your area and prepare for more specialized issues in the advanced courses. The course is made up of a 4-hour interactive self-study online module and a 4-hour workshop.
It is intended for as an overview of the field for those who are new to sustainable healthcare, or would like a refresher. It introduces the concept of planetary health, provides an overview of the development of sustainable healthcare, and shares case studies of sustainable clinical practice.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Describe the links between disruption of the earth’s natural systems and human health
- Apply the principles of sustainable development to the health sector
- Identify components of effective sustainable practice in clinical care and facilities management in your setting
The Faculty of Public Health has accredited this training course for 3 CPD credits for the self-study portion, plus 3 CPD credits for the online workshop.
Learn more about this course and the facilitators here.