Opportunity for surgical trainees: would you like to become our National Sustainable Operating Theatres Network Manager?
The Centre for Sustainable Healthcare (CSH) is looking for a surgical trainee who is passionate about the environmentto become our National Sustainable Operating Theatres Network Manager. Operating theatres are typically the most resource-intensive area of a hospital, generating 21-30% of hospital waste and are 3-6 times more energy intensive than the rest of the hospital. We are trying to work out how best to improve the eco-efficiency of theatres.
The aim of the Sustainable Operating Theatres Network is to embed environmental sustainability into surgery around the UK. The network will act as a platform for sharing case studies of sustainable practice within surgery. We would also like to know from members of the surgical team what they think are the barriers and enablers to sustainable practice within operating theatres.The network manager will work alongside our Sustainable Surgery Fellow Chantelle Rizan who is examining the carbon footprint of surgery within her PhD.
This is a one year voluntary post, requiring equivalent of 2 days per month commitment. Responsibilities include:
- Re-launch the national Sustainable Operating Theatres online network, hosted on the CSH website (http://networks.sustainablehealthcare.org.uk)
- Reaching out to members of the surgical team across the UK, encouraging them to join and engage in the online community
- Facilitating & overseeing the network
- Develop and disseminate a campaignof simple changes that can be implemented by operating personnel to improve surgical sustainability
- There is also potential to help form a Sustainable Operating Theatres Ambassador programme. The ambassadors will act as local champions, seeking for bottom up cultural change within operating theatres.
Here at CSH we have a legacy of successful similar work in other healthcare specialties, but this has never been done within surgery before.
This is an exciting opportunity to:
- Learn about how surgery can be made more environmentally sustainable
- Develop skills in leadership and project management at a national scale
- Develop networking skills with members of the surgical community who are also passionate about the environment
- Contribute to an impactful movement, leading the edge of sustainability in surgery
- Work with experts in the field with >10 years experience in clinical sustainability
To apply for this post please write 350 words outlining your reasons for applying, relevant experience and your vision for the network. Please also submit a two page summary of your CV. Submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on 9thNovember at the latest.
We look forward to hearing from you,
Sustainable Surgery Fellow, CSH